Child Protection Code of Conduct
All Children always have the right to be emotionally & physically safe from harm.
Chiropractic at Salisbury is committed to the safety & well-being of all children / young people accessing our services.
We take a preventative, proactive & participatory stance on child protection issues.
We fully support the:
- rights of the child & will act without hesitation to ensure a child safe & friendly environment is always maintained.
- rights / well-being of our staff / contractors & encourage their active participation in building / maintaining a safe / secure environment for all participants.
All Chiropractic at Salisbury workers / staff & contractors WILL:
- Conduct themselves in a manner consistent with their position as a positive role model to children & young people & as a representative of the Chiropractic profession;
- At all times follow organisational policies & guidelines around the safety & well-being of children & young persons as outlined in our Child & Young Person Protection Policy;
- Treat all children & young persons with dignity & respect regardless of race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national, ethnic or social origin, property, disability, birth or other status & take notice of their reactions to our tone of voice & manner;
- Ensure clear age appropriate explanations are provided to a child or young person before consultation & allowing for questions prior to examinations and seek consent of the child & their guardians where treatment requite physical contact.
- Ensure children & families know their rights & how to access the complaints procedures available to them.
- Always ensure another adult, preferably a parent or staff member is present when conducting one-on-one treatment, instruction etc. with a child or young person (deemed as a person under 18 years of age);
- Report any suspected child abuse by a staff member, worker or contractor;
- Raise all concerns, issues & problems with the office manager or supervisor, where appropriate, as soon as possible;
- Ensure that all allegations or suspicions of any type of child abuse are recorded & immediately reported to the Child Abuse Report Line (13 14 78)
- Safeguard & make responsible use of information & resources to which staff, have access by reason of their employment.
- Undergo regular child protection training as directed;
- Abide by the AHPRA Chiropractic Board of Australia Code of Conduct for Chiropractors.
All Chiropractic at Salisbury staff & contractors WILL NOT:
- Engage in overly rough physical games, pranks or horseplay with a child or young person;
- Hold, kiss, cuddle or touch children or young people in an inappropriate and / or culturally insensitive way;
- Engage children or young people in any form of sexual activity or acts, including paying for sexual services or acts where the child is below the age of consent and / or the acts are an offence under relevant laws;
- Make sexually suggestive comments to children or young people even as a joke or use language or behaviour that is inappropriate, harassing, abusive or demeaning;
- Do things of a personal nature that a child or young person can adequately do for themselves such as disrobing, toileting, or changing clothes etc; or engage in any special relationship or favouritism.
- Spend time alone with a child;
- Take a child or young person to their home, accommodation or other place or encourage meetings outside the worker’s premises or workplace activities.